Saturday 31 March 2012

Sunday 24 March 2012 - retrospective review

Fantastic weekends cycling in unseasonably hot weather for the time of year. Had 3 really good rides

Work commitments and weather meant no commuting cycling until Friday this week.

The success started when cycling home on Friday from work. Noel had cycled as well due to a change in travel arrangements and was on the late shift so our finishing times coincided. I'd felt a bit lethargic on the way in, but within a few minutes of setting of home on the "long" route felt really strong. Not sure why but possibly because it was really warm so shorts and SS jersey was for probably the first time of the year proper attire. Normally I am happy to sit behind Noel but on this day I towed Noel the entire way home. Not only that but we set some Strava segment KOM and 2nd fastest times. The best was on the "Temple Balsall to Knowle Sesses" where I set both KOM and made a ~30second improvement in my previous time. I also got KOM on "Kineton Lane Blast" and 2nd on Vicarage Hill in Cheswick Green. Not only that but ride average time over ~25miles was 17.8mph which was stunning for the end of the week and with a heavy rucksack with my laptop. 

The following Saturday afternoon as the weather was still superb I went out for a quick hours loop of about 18 miles to try to get a few more segments on my Focus with the new Shimano RS80 wheels for its first "proper" run of the year. This ride was basically on the loop that Mike Harrison rides (a Strava follower and who I follow) but it also gave me a chance to have a go on the 2 "Box Trees Lane" segments for the first time. On the short one I only managed 5th but pulled our KOM for the full ride. That combined with a 19mph average gave me my fastest personal average ever so was ecstatic

Finally on the Sunday went out on my own through a loop Noel & I like through Alvechurch, Tardebigge, Astwood Bank, Shelfield and then as the weather was good off through Aston Cantlow, Snitterfield, Lowsonford and back home. Despite not really aiming for any segments I made a reasonable improvement on Scarfield Hill (and could have got another 5 seconds or so but got baulked by a couple of cyclists and a car coming the other way) and retook the "Astwood Lane climb in Astwood Bank" KOM back off Noel. Overall distance was 53.6 miles at 17mph average so well pleased (although was starting to fade at the end)

Weeks summary was 115 miles and over 4000ft of climbing all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment