Sunday 30 June 2013

Soggy Commute

On Friday 28 June for the first time ever I chose to commute in the rain.

Despite being a pretty committed cyclist doing 1000's of miles a year I rarely choose to start a ride in the wet so this was quite a step change.

On this occasion I had chosen not to cycle the day before (Thursday) as the forecast showed a bright start but turning to rain at home time. I was also a bit tired so on the Thursday I decided that I'd cycle if I woke in time without the alarm. I didn't so I drove and was pretty grateful given the quantity of rain at home time.

However the forecast for Friday was a damp/wet start but drying out, and Noel was going to ride in as well, suggesting that we rode back "the long way". So I set my alarm for 5.45am and when it went off I looked out of the window - it was raining but looked light so I decided I'd risk the cycle. After some breakfast and a shave I went to get my bike from the garage and whilst it was still raining it felt like light drizzle. However once I really got going it was clearly raining a lot harder than it had initially appeared.

By Hampton In Arden I was pretty wet - not cold as it was about 12Deg C, but wet. I'd put my overshoes on but these were overcome - mostly I think from water rolling down my legs. This was despite mudguards on my bike. My pocket rocket held up as my upper body was warm and dry - my arms seemed wet and I was unable to tell whether this was sweat or leaks around the wrists

It was also the first test of my Altura Pannier in terms of water proofing. I wrote in the review that it needed more time to assess how good it was. I am please to say that the contents remained completely dry even after an hour of heavy rain. It is important to get the lid to cover properly - the material at the top of the bag is a lighter duty nylon closed by a drawstring, and relies on the lid to provide maximum water resistance. When the bag is full (as mine often is) you need to make sure that the elasticated flap is pulled over the bag just on case

I have used the pannier about 20 times or so now and so far it still seems to be holding up. The only issue so far seemed to be the screw/bolt covers inside that wore the contents. The solution in my earlier review of using a piece of old Karrimat seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment