Sunday 12 April 2015

Upgrade of my Home Made Chain Whip

I have a chain whip (all cyclists need one). Actually the chain whip was my father's, who made it probably 60 years or so ago. Its made from a bit of chain (an old single speed I'd guess as my Dad rode single speed fixed for a long time) and a piece of modified steel bar.

The bar has been filed (or heated and hammered) thinner with a piece of chain attached. This works fine. However its quite hard to hold the bar straight on the cassette and there is always a risk of the bar slipping into the spokes, so I thought I would upgrade it to match the more modern designs with the second length of chain. Fortunately I also had an old (but unused) chain that I could use.

I filed the bar thin enough to allow the chain to fit over. I then found a slim screw (actually an electrical socket screw I think) to fit through the chain rivet holes and the bar, and then bashed over the end of the screw to peen it over and hold it in position.

A total of around 20 minutes work and the outcome was an improved (easier to use) chain whip:


The modified whip. Original chain is on the left and the newly added piece is on the right


The Chain Whip in use


The Chain Whip in use
Note my exemplary behaviour wearing PPE - overalls and steel toecap shoes. I even use disposable plastic gloves as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment