Thursday 30 June 2016

French Alps 2016 - Day 2 - Croix de Fer & Glandon

Day 2 in the Alps and a big climb planned - Croix de Fer and the Glandon. This was a route I had done last year with my son and was pretty big. However unlike some Alpine climbs its slightly different in that there's a reasonable flat section and noticeable downhill stretch about half way. 

From Bourg d'Oisins its about 10 miles to the foot of the climb. Its along a straight and almost flat road to the turning for Allemont, up the face of the dam and alongside the lake. After a small dip and over a bridge the first part of the climb starts. Its straight up to 8-10% and through the trees. It stays like this for the next 4 miles. There are a couple of spots where the gradient drops to 5-6% for a few meters but otherwise its pretty consistent.

I tried to hold the lowest gear of 34-28 but found it too difficult if I wanted to keep my heart rate to below 160bpm so needed to use the 34-32. It is a spot too low and whilst does take the effort off the speed also drops as well. Last year (with 10 speed) I had an 11-30 cassette and the 30 was a slightly better compromise.

The road was very quiet with few cars and other cyclists. Unfortunately all the other cyclists passed me this time. 

The first "easier" part comes at Le Rivier d'Allemont where it flattens and eases through the village and then drops slightly before the set of switch backs where you lose over 200 feet very quickly. Immediately at the bottom the roads kicks up again to ~14% and today there was also a strong headwind. The next kilometre was hard - battling up a 12-14% stretch with a headwind. Once past this there's a section of steep climbing (~10%) rising to a slightly easier section approaching the Barrage de Grand Maison. Once past the 2 sharp switch backs level with the dam it again eases significantly (enough for even me to get into the big ring) and then there's a fast downhill section (about 150feet) into the final valley. From here its probably the easiest section at ~8% to the summit, The fact that you can see the cafe at the turn for Glandon helps. Once at the Cafe its again another relatively easy 2.5km to the summit of the Croix de Fer.

It took me 1hr 53 mins this year - average heart rate of 159bpm (so I didn't do that good a job of keeping it below 16) and average speed of 8mph. I was pretty pleased with this.

I had an obligatory coffee and ice cream at the top and took some pictures:









I also made an obligatory (?) video of the climb from the Lad de Grand Maison. It's twice speed to lower the level of boredom.

 

I then got back on the bike and rode down (and back up a few meters) to the Glandon









It was quite windy and a little cool so I wore my Pocket Rocket for the descent - not sure if I really needed it but I didn't feel cold - I stopped and removed it in Le Rivier d'Allemont.

As with last year I think it best that I describe my self as a "nervous descender".

The switch back descent near Le Rivier d'Allemont is even worse coming off the mountain as your legs have just spent  minutes doing nothing and then need to drag you up 12% slopes!

Once back at the very bottom its then a reasonably pleasant ride back to Bourg.

Overall - I really like the climb - excellent scenery, several different vistas at different stages of the climb, lost of different bits of road to ride on, and its a big climb at over 2000m.

Stats for the day - 50.8miles, 3hr42min moving time and 6100ft of ascent:

On Strava:



No comments:

Post a Comment