Friday 2 September 2016

100 Greatest Climbs #21 - Steyning Bostal

I was in Worthing over the 2016 August Bank Holiday weekend with friends and was able to take my bike. The logistic were such that I was able to sneak a ride in on the Monday and planned this to include the #21 - Steyning Bostal.

It was a bit further from Worthing to the foot of the climb than I expected and I was getting pressed for time as I was going to be late to meet my wife as arranged. The delay was partially down to the Bank Holiday traffic along the seafronts of Worthing and Lancing.

I turned onto the climbed and there was immediately a short steep section that was, to be honest, a bit of a nothing climb. As I crested it I could see ahead what looked like 1/2 a mile or so of pretty flat road. I knew I was on the right road but I still had some doubts given what the road was like. However at the end of the flat section it kicked up quite sharply. There was a junction to the right and at that point it really did change to a "proper" climb. It was a good 15% at least and I was starting to regret having swapped out my 11-32 "pyrenean" cassette for the more UK suitable 11-28. My heart rate was up at around 175bpm but I actually felt OK  and it was not too long the gradient eased off and I was at the top.

It was a tough but manageable climb, and another one ticked off the list.

Here's the full route for the day (25miles average 16.2mph - included the slow sea front and the climb)


Here is the climb details:


My stats were 7:10 climb time, 407ft of ascent, average speed of 8.2mph and average heart rate of 171bpm. I placed 946 of 3109 - I was pretty happy to be in the top 1/3rd. I think if I did it again I could take some time out of this relatively easily on the flat stretch

I had my Garmin Virb with me but forgot to have it running before the climb, so it starts part way up the first small climb:




No comments:

Post a Comment