Saturday 7 July 2012

7 July 2012 Back from Holiday

For the first time ever I spent some serious money on a holiday and we went to the USA - New York and Washington DC to be precise. We had a great time - the weather was absolutely fantastic - in fact it never dropped below 95Deg F for the whole time we were there, and was over 105Deg F on several occasions. We were affected by the huge power cut that affected many of the Eastern States but fortunately for us the Hotel got power back within 24hrs.

Here is a picture of me on Liberty Island.


The only downside was no time on a bike! Plenty of opportunities to hire - I wanted to set some Strava segments in Central Park, and they were for hire in Washington DC as well, but they were expensive to hire - so I had not ridden a bike for almost 3 weeks until today.

We went to the Shenandoah National Park in Northern Virginia - a highlight of this park is Skyline Drive, a 105mile drive along the ridge. This was a beautiful road with a 35mph speed limit and would be a fantastic ride, although I'd rate it as "difficult" given the distance and the amount of climbing - some of which up pretty demanding gradients. I'll put this on my to-do list.

Back at home I went out for a short ride today to get back into it. It was fair to say that the first 5 miles really hurt! However something seemed to get back and I did 29.3 miles at 18.2 mph average so was happy enough overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment