Tuesday 31 July 2012

Signs of Progress

As I have noted previously since being in the States for 2½ weeks I have struggled to get back  to the level of fitness I was at before going. However over the past 2 weeks or so there have been some reasonably positive signs: higher average speeds again over a range of distances, HR not being over 160 for the entire ride, some Strava achievements (and a few easy KOM!) and actually using the good weather to get some serious mileage in - from Monday 23 July to Sunday 29 July I clocked up 9 rides (7 as 2 were commutes) and 202 miles. I was tired on Monday (30 July) but very pleased with the weeks riding.

My back brake is working a lot better (see previous post) so the money and time were worth the effort, and more importantly I can stop safely.

The weather has turned a bit for this week so it'll be nearer the end of the week before I am back on the bike - good brakes or not

I watched the men's and women's Olympic Road races on the TV at the weekend. The men's result was disappointing but perhaps not unexpected, whilst the women's was good with a good result as well. However  the coverage from the BBC was dreadful - ignoring the lack of data on the riders (gap, speed, location etc.) the commentary was amateur, ill prepared and downright dreadful. It goes to show how good the ITV commentary team are. They recognise the riders, the team strip and are fully briefed on the route, background information and a wide variety of other sometimes trivial information. In comparison Hugh Porter was a complete disaster. No preparation, no knowledge, missed the information, did not recognise the riders or their strip or nationality, and if I heard "injection of pace" once I heard it a million times. BBC - you were rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment