Sunday 20 October 2013

The Black Country Museum

My wife and I went to the The Black Country Museum in Dudley. Its relatively close to us (<15 miles) but in terms of location its another world!

A pretty good day out all told, weather held off and not too busy. We've been a couple of times before but not for 10 years I'd guess so there were some new things to see.

In the pharmacy there was some "Bristow's Beauty Cream". Being a Bristow it was good to see some relative did something - whether this morphed into Bristow's Shampoo remains a mystery to me.


Here's the equivalent of Wonga - notice "Money Liberally Advanced"!!:
 

We watched a demonstration of some chain making. This 2 person mallet clearly has some potential for serious damage:



Here's the Blacksmith making a link -I missed the sparks flying 6 feet out by a fraction of a second


We had lunch in the Working Man's Institute Cafe. I had a traditional Black Country meal of faggots and mushy peas - excellent it was too:


The last 3 pictures are of the iron house - read the sign to see why it was designed - classic case of trying to create a market to maintain a dying industry. Despite the I cpuld see some really good design features in the house - it would have been really quick to assemble, and no risk of dry rot! However I guess insulation would have been a real challenge:




I was a bit shocked at £15 per adult for entry sp we saved a couple of quid and bought the tickets online in advance, and they actually allow repeat entry for a year after first use so not as bad after all. Overall a good day out

No comments:

Post a Comment