Sunday 30 November 2014

White Lane (#16) and Chalkpit Lane (#117) - Again

I was at my parents for a weekend in mid November and so planned a shorter trip to repeat a couple of the hills listed in the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book (and in fact the Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book as well). Feeling a little tired after a lot of miles this year so far I planned to do only White Lane (#16) and Chalkpit Lane (#117) again, both of which I have only done once. I also planned to do a fairly basic "there and back" route as well, although this would mean doing a new route back - although on roads I have used but only in the opposite direction.

I plotted the route (using Strava) and made a few small changes to the normal route, so the ride onto the Hawley Road was different, as was the return leg when almost back. Here's the full route:


I also planned to ride across the ridge/escarpment that is the top of White Lane, on past the top of Chalkpit Lane and past and then climb Chalkpit Lane again, and then on the way back drop 1/2 way down Titsey Hill and climb White Lane from there, rather than from the bottom of the Hill in the village of Limspfield. This plan is here:


The first problem I realised after about 1/2hr was that I forgotten a water bottle. I though I might get away with it but after about 45 minutes knew I'd be in a bad way without anything to drink. I stopped in Halstead at a newsagent and got a bottle of orange juice that fitted in my jersey pocket. I also took my gilet and cap off as it was a lot warmer than I expected. I'd felt pretty unfit up until that point - grovelling up a slight incline the first time I crossed under the M25 heading into Shoreham but I felt better after the drink. I still didn't feel great though and was already thinking about skipping at least on of the hills. When I descended (what I later learned was) Sundridge Hill I was even more sure I was not in a fit state for the 2 big climbs. Sundridge Hill - which I have descended several times but never climbed before was now on the return route an I felt it was probably going to be at least as hard as White Lane and Chalkpit Lane. However the right turn near the bottom of the hill takes you onto the Pilgrims Way which is reasonably flat and this allowed me to get more into a rhythm and feel a lot better. After a number of miles I turned right off Pilgrims Way onto Chalk Lane and the B2024 which climbed up to the top of White Lane as planned.

Once you finally climb to the top of the escarpment its relatively flat and after a few miles I passed the top of Chalkpit Lane and started the descent down to get to the bottom.This road (Grangers Hill) was not nice to descend - it was quite a poor surface and was covered in loose gravel and leaves. I descended very gingerly and was passed easily but someone I hope was local given the rate he dropped me! I was also saving myself for what might be the only climb of the day. Once at the bottom it was a few miles to the bottom of Chalkpit Lane proper. You turn off and pass some houses and under a railway bridge. Shortly after that you pass under the M25 and the road starts to rise properly from that point. 

The gradient gets to 10% or so pretty quickly. Its tough to climb past the two entrances to the chalkpit (hence the name) and the road continues to steepen especially as it swings sharp to the right and the gradient kicks up again to 17-18% according to my Garmin. This section is the steepest and is relatively straight before curving gently to the left to reach the top. I found it very hard work. I was in the 34-28 gear which gave me a sensible cadence and I could plod out the climb while remaining seated, and while it was hard it was not quite as hard as I expected.

I stopped at the top to have a gel and some more to drink and felt confidant enough to go for White Lane as well. I enjoyed the descent of Titsey Hill but slowed quite a bit to make sure I made the left turn up White Lane. The first thing I noticed was that the climb felt easier than the other time I had ridden it with my son earlier in the year. The second thing was how smooth and clean the surface was and I guessed this was because it was used for the Becc CC Hill Climb a few weeks before when David Millar rode it as a final pro ride. Given the improved surface, the fact that I approached the climb from a descent rather than another climb I was hoping to make an improved time compared to last time.

From here it was pretty much ride back the exact same route as I'd come out on. The climb up Sundridge Hill was every bit as bad a I expected - a long drag with some pretty steep parts - although once over that the ride was relatively easy. I stopped at Eynsford for a gel and to finish the drink and took a couple of photos:




Then I was back and it was all done: 50 miles exactly, 3600ft climbing, 3:16 time and an average of 15.3mph - not great but given 3 tough climbs I was happy.


I was also slower on both the 2 climbs than before - disappointed but not too bothered as its late in the year and I have done a lot of miles.

The ride on Strava is here: http://www.strava.com/activities/219771684

No comments:

Post a Comment