Sunday 30 November 2014

The Downsides of WInter Riding

I like riding my bike and I like riding my Scott in preference to my Giant. The problem is that at this time of year it just gets filthy, as does the rider. The Giant has mudguards but it has got that each year I put off hibernating the "best bike" later and later. This weekend may however be the last for this year.

Here's some photos of the Scott after 50 miles of wet and muddy country roads today:


The bike is actually an olive green/grey colour!

I was as dirty as the bike up my back

Bottom bracket and cranks covered in mud

Tyre and rim covered in mud and only the brake track clean

And here its is after 20 minutes of cleaning - nothing more than gentle and careful use of a hose, a bowl of warm water with a dash of washing up liquid, an old saucepan cleaning brush and a rag - quite a transformation:


While the frame cleans up easily I did not remove and clean the chain (it has a KMC Quick link so its not too difficult) and the wear on the rims from mud and brake pads is higher - and it sounds awful every time the brakes are applied. The tiny rim wear indicators still show that the rims are OK but they are starting to look quite grooved and worm now after about 8-10000 miles, firstly on the Focus and now on the Scott.

This weekend may well be the last for riding until the weather dries out again next Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment