Monday 16 March 2015

Solihull to Malvern

A bit of an odd weekend on the - itching to get out but not really wanting to go!

I have been a bit put off by the seemingly long period of cold weather (although its been relatively mild to be honest this winter) and was not sure whether I wanted to face another few hours in the cold. Also part of it was being a little bored with the local (i.e. shorter) local rides. In the end I decided (with help and agreement from my wife) to ride to Malvern, and for her to pick me up there. I plotted a ~60 mile route on the bike but in the car its just over 45 miles and and hour or so.

Here's the actual route:

The route was generally slightly down hill all the way to Malvern with then a climb up and round the northern end of the Malvern Hills. It was a familiar route to just north of Evesham although I approached the town from a slightly different road. It was then pretty well due west through Pershore and Upton upon Severn to Malvern and this was all new.

It turned out to be a very pleasant route but a very strong headwind all the way. At the point I crossed the A38 it was very exposed and I had to drop onto the 34T chain ring for a short period.


Once in Malvern the climb (and all the climbing on this route was in Malvern) was relatively smooth and easy and a good leg stretcher.

I didn't set any Strava segments alight but this was not the purpose on this ride.

I got to Malvern a little earlier than predicted so I had a coffee in Costa (and brought my bike into the store) and then my wife picked me up in the Waitrose car park just around the corner, just as it started raining

The route came in just under 60 miles, so extending the route to ride home as well would be just over 100 miles - something for the Summer I think. It was worth going out in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment