Sunday 15 May 2016

The Numbskulls

My wife and I went for a few days away in Wales in April 2016 (when I went Mountain Biking with MudTrek)

On the way back we stopped in the Wetherspoons in Monmouth. Part of the decor was bookshelves with lots of books. I suspect that these were bought by the kilo from a 2nd hand dealer. There was one book I looked at in more detail - "The Miracle of Life":



In this was a picture that reminded me of a strip from the Beano (click on the image to get a bigger view):


Here is the comparison - It's the Numbskulls. In fact this was originally featured in The Beezer comic from 1962–1990 (thanks to wikipedia):




Its a very amusing comparison. I don't know which came first as there was no date I could find in the book. It seemed to pre-date an ISBN Number.


A further search of the Internet has revealed a likely publishing date of ~1949 so it looks like the Beezer pinched the idea but simplified the number of numbskulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment