Sunday 22 May 2016

To Kinver for the 2nd time

Today I rode to Kinver in Staffordshire. It was a "new to me" route based on one I'd seen on Strava from a Solihull Cycling Club ride. Whilst it was a new to me ride it went through or passed by a number of places I have ridden before such as Belbroughton in Worcestershire ("gateway to St Kenelms Pass"). However it took a number of roads I have not used before at all so was a new ride but in a familiar area. It also meant of the weather turned I know I could abort at Belbroughton as I knew several routes back without needing the Garmin. The weather was not quite as warm as I'd hoped but was in general OK.

A nice rolling route - 58.9 miles and 4300ft of climbing, 3 counties (again as I have mentioned - just 30 minutes from Birmingham and there is challenging cycling to be had).



I rode the Giant and managed with the 36-28 lowest gear - I was going to take the much lower geared Scott but we've planned another French Cycling Holiday this year so I thought the higher gearing would be good training - it was and I only needed the 36-28 twice. I am still torn whether to take the Scott or the Giant to France but I think the Scott's lower gearing and non-aero wheels will win the day for the long ascents. There was a particularly strong cross wind on the ascent of the Galibier that was quite a challenge on the Scott with its low profile Ultegra wheels last year.

I have been through Kinver before on the Tour of the Black Country in May 2015:

 

  I took some video on the approach to Kinver and through the Kingsford Forest Park:



No comments:

Post a Comment