Saturday 8 September 2018

Horseshoe Pass (100 Climbs #90) Again

I first rode Horseshoe Pass back in September 2015 when we went to see the Tour of Britain in Wales - I wrote a few words about it here.

This time we went on the Railway at Llangollen just after the August Bank Holiday.

Here's the picturesque station from the bridge






After we had ridden the railway and had some lunch and I rode the Pass again. We'd parked about 1/2-3/4 mile up the road from Lllangollen towards the pass so I rode back into the town and beyond before doing a U-turn to ride back up.

I'd forgotten that the steeper sections were between the town and the cattle grid, after which it was a lot steadier, and whilst I was not overly fast I felt nowhere near as stressed on the climb as I had previously when I had very little warm up and was on the limit. In fact I felt pretty good and was riding well in my comfort zone and felt faster than the previous time. The hairpin came up sooner than I expected and I had some effort in reserve so I pushed harder at that point all the way to the Ponderosa cafe

Here's a video of the climb and descent:



This time I remembered to start the camera in Llangollen so its the full climb.

The Strava Data of my ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1803948750

Despite feeling faster than the first time I was slower everywhere except the segment approaching the summit. I was a bit annoyed as I had some left in the tank and should have gone faster everywhere.


If I ignore being slower than the previous time I was happy with my power numbers - a high average and high Dr Coggan value (weighted power in Strava speak):


No comments:

Post a Comment