Saturday 26 May 2012

Update 26 May 2012

Quick post after the Tour Series. I'd been considering cycling to work on the Friday but work commitments mean this was not practical. So I decided that a quick sprint in the later afternoon when I got home was the order of the day. As I have the Wheel Heroes Cyclists Fighting Cancer 100 miler on the Sunday I was not going to push too hard. Once I was out I realised how windy it was so took it easy. However pushing into the wind towards Hockley Heath I realised that the Strava "Cuthroat Lane" segment might be worth a sniff as it should have a tail wind. A gentle plod delivered me to the start of the segment pretty fresh and (relatively speaking) I went for it. It felt quick but you never know. I then took it easy back towards Cheswick green and decided that the "Watery Eyes Warm up" might have the same wind conditions so rode to that segment as well. It was OK but felt nothing special but on the descent of Vicarage Hill Cheswick Green I realised how strong a headwind was so after Watery Eyes Warm up I back tracked and rode the "Vicarage Hill Cheswick Green" segment as well. Again felt quick but Scott Wharton has put a stunning time on this back in April so was not that hopeful of anything great.

After getting home and uploading the route I saw that I had the "Cuthroat Lane" KOM by 13 seconds and had moved to 3rd place on the "Vicarage Hill Cheswick Green" segment with a 7 second improvement, so a good evenings ride. I know they were wind assisted but I'll take all I can get these days. I didn't fell too tired either but I'll find that out on Sunday!

And my HR monitor played up again on the Garmin - last time I got the strap replace under warranty - I have given it a wash and will hope its OK for tomorrow

Here's the KOM (note - ahead of my nemesis Dave Brown):

And here's the 3rd place on Vicarage Hill (key observation - ahead of Dave Brown):




I am sure when Dave sees these he'll be out like a shot to try to get ahead again!!

Then on Saturday am my wife, who is trying very hard to lose weight end get fitter suggested that we went for a cycle ride. She's been out on her BSO a few times in the week so I was keen to support her. I rode my MTB (an aluminium framed Mongoose, with slick tyres that I acquired from my parent's neighbours a few years ago) so no Strava ride for this although I could have used my phone to log the ride. We ended up doing just over 12 miles which was good for her and a nice slow pootle for me. 

The aim now is for good weather for tomorrow for the 100 miler. Last year although it was warm it was very windy - I and Noel are hoping for better this year

No comments:

Post a Comment