Tuesday 22 May 2012

Update 22 May 2012

As Noel and I are doing the Wheel Heroes ride this coming Sunday we went for a longer ride down to Edge Hill. Edge Hill is one one the local climbs and has a huge number of Strava riders on several segments define up and down it. For us its 30 miles down before the climb itself. It's a tough climb and is in 2 parts - a first phase up to about 12% before a 90 degree right turn with a slightly more gentle ascent before kicking up to 15-16% for the final 100m. Despite having ridden it a number of times I have to say that I never look forward to doing it. I was reasonably confidant of improving my time but in reality only made a small improvement (4m20s vs previous best of 4m31s). This is a bit disappointing as some of the climbs were on my Giant in its more heavy configuration and Sunday was on my Focus. More work need there. A personal target is I think 4m00s but I can't see where that's going to come from at the moment unless I drive down a lot nearer.

The whole route was 76 miles and we managed 16.4mph. I was a little disappointed with this, despite Noel & I each doing a good turn at the front to share the load. I also had a tough time in terms of how I felt around the 50 mile mark, so I am a little nervous about being fully prepared for next Sunday. Still we have done it before and its all about getting the pace right. The weather wasn't great on the ride - reasonably cold and a wind most of the time. Hoping for a good day on Sunday - although last year was windy as well.

Finally - excellent weather today - cycled to work in shorts and and only 2 layers and home in shorts and short sleeved jersey only. Long may it continue

No comments:

Post a Comment