Friday 15 June 2012

Update 15 June 2012

Circumstances beyond my control (weather and work commitments) meant that there was no opportunity to commute to work this week so I took the opportunity of good weather in the evening on Wednesday for a short run. I did a run that is pretty flat and just under 16 miles as I didn't want to be out for too long. It was a bit of a struggle to get going as it was not that long after dinner but I was pretty pleased with the outcome when I got home. To keep it short I made a number of improvements on some of the Strava segments close to home:

Watery Eyes Warm Up - 3rd  - 1:04 (previous best 1:05)
Box Trees Rd, Four Ashes Road - 2nd - 4:46 (previous best 4:47)
Widney Manor Uphill - 3rd - 0:21 (previous best 0:22)
St Alphege Hill - 3rd - 0:21  (previous best 0:24) 
Overall Stats - 15.7miles, average speed - 18.5mph

Although some of these are quite small time improvements, for these segments 1 second can make a number of places up. I was very pleased with this ride

I then took the opportunity on Friday evening to have another quick ride. Because the weather had been so wet I decided to take the Giant as it has mudguards fitted, and wear my overshoes as well. I rode the same route again, and was hoping that the strong wind would help on some segments.

The results were:
Box Trees Short Leg Blast - 6th - 1:08 (previous best 1:09)
Box Trees Rd, Four Ashes Road - KOM - 4:39 (previous best 4:46)
Widney Manor Uphill - 2nd - 0:19 (previous best 0:21)
St Alphege Hill - 3rd - 0:21  (previous best 0:21, equalled Wednesday's time)
Overall Stats - 15.6miles, average speed - 18.0mph
Again I was pleased with the ride - there was a level of wind assistance for some segments but when it was a head wind I really lost out - hence the 0.5mph drop in average speed. I also do believe that the Focus is worth 0.5-1 mph over the Giant depending on conditions and distance.

It was good to get out and get the miles and good to get some improved segment times in and a KOM as well. In fact for the KOM there were road works about 1/2 way along the road so I almost had to stop. I didn't and jumped the red light, so I know I had a about 2 seconds more that I could have go.

No comments:

Post a Comment