Saturday 2 June 2012

May Holiday Weekend Riding

Update 2 June 2012

The weather for the 4 day holiday weekend looked poor so its a case of taking windows of opportunity as they become available. I went out about 9.30 in the morning with the aim to improve on some of my commute segments - I was on the Focus and without a rucksack so felt there were time gains to be made. Unfortunately the wind was against me and fairly early on realised that these segments were not going to to be improved. Also I was getting a lot of speed drop out on the Garmin so I pulled over after the Cornets End Lane segment and moved the sensor slightly closer to the magnet. It seemed OK after this so I assume that this was the cause. It might have got knocked slightly when it was in Noel's car for the Wheel Heroes ride.

I then set off for the Temple Balsall to Knowle Sesses to try and gain some time and aim for the KOM which I had held for a number of week. Pushed hard but but the earlier wind had sapped a bit of energy. I got a 2nd best time (2 seconds of the PB) so overall was OK.

The next target was the Lowsonford to Lapworth segment. It's one that I created a long time ago and had been near the top. As Strava becomes ever more popular more and more people are uploading times and I had been moving progressively down the rankings, and all attempts recently to improve are doomed to failure as it generally appears near the end of a long ride with noting in the legs. I came down to Lapworth and then turned to Rowington to get to the bottom of Lowsonford. It was a road I've never been on before and was quite pleasant. I attacked the climb as soon as possible and got back onto the big ring after the first short sharp climb and pushed hard. Dropped back into the small ring for the little kick half way and then back on the big ring to then end. The effort was rewarded with moving to 10th position (from ~17th) and a time improvement of 23 secs (to 7:03) which I was very pleased with.  I still didn't get that close to Dave Brown's recent PB - a very good time from Dave I think. A few more seconds might have been available if I hadn't had to slow while some arrogant t****r in a white Audi Q8 (reg BV12 FQV I think) couldn't wait a few 100 meters to pass some other cyclist coming the other way and sat right on my side of the road. There is then another segment staring directly from the end of the Lowsonford to Lapworth all the way to Hockley Heath - I sort of know its there but its really a recovery section for me.

For once I turned left and headed to Cutthroat Lane in order to try Dyers Drag again. Made a really fast start and was holding 25mph. Its a short segment and I was flat out and only just managed to get to the end - I didn't think I was going to make it at one point - eyes on stalks. I had to back down an little at the canal bridge as I was blown, and it took me about 1/2 a mile to recover. The effort was worth it though as I gained 9 seconds and moved to joint 2nd with Scott Wharton and 1 second behind Dave Brown with the KOM - the nagging doubt was that I might have had the extra second and did I ease up too early?

Most of the ride was in drizzle or rain so I felt that I followed Rule 9 properly

No comments:

Post a Comment