Saturday 26 April 2014

FSA Chain Rings


In this post - chain rings - I moaned about the cost of chain rings. This was in light of the fact that the 50T rings were worn badly on both the Scott and the Giant. They end up being at least £30+ each and seem to be rarely in stock at most of the major internet retailers.

For the Scott which is my best bike and hence the one I tend to fuss over, I ended up getting a new Shimano 5700 Compact chainset to replace the FSA Gossamer chainset as described in the post. This still left needing a new 50T ring for the Giant. I looked over a period of weeks to see when and what was available and recently found a reasonably proved supply in stock on eBay here: sprocketsuk


To be fair it arrived very quickly and was as advertised. I think the teeth are less complex that the original FSA or Shimano teeth - they look much more regular and more like the plain teeth on the inner (34T) ring. Only time will tell if this affects the shifting quality. The design is similar to the original FSA rings but slightly different in the area of the webs.

It took about 30 minutes to fit, mostly because I struggled to hold the back of the chainring bolt still whilst undoing with an Allen key. I had to resort to using the very large socket screwdriver bit from my impact driver to hold the back still whilst using the Allen key as I had no other suitable tool. However once I had rigged up something for this it all came apart easily enough. I applied a small smear of Copaslip (other brands and suppliers are avilable) to the threads before reassembly.

All was OK with the shifting once it was all back together. 

Closer inspection of the removed item showed how worn it was (its done about 10-12,000 miles in about 3 years or so, through all seasons):


The original ring

Shark Teeth





With teeth this worn it was going to start chewing through chains at an accelerated rate so this is why I spent £30. It was going to be of the order of £60-70 to replace it.

The FSA Vero is a square taper chainset - the bottom bracket it uses is discussed here and the square taper crank sets are getting less common now. I briefly considered fitting a new ring to the FSA Gossamer that came off the Scott together with the Mega Exo BB and considering it as an "upgrade", but given the short life of the Mega EXO BB compared the the original Truvative BB-06-SQ-LE-108/68 BB on the Giant (now replaced with a Shimano UN55) I decided that the durability would be compromised. I was also unsure whether the BB faces on the Giant might need facing off I fitted an external BB like the Mega EXO compared the to cartridge type it is currently running


No comments:

Post a Comment